Friday, August 22, 2014

My 2014 Reading Challenge



Purnima's books

The Beach House
2 of 5 stars
by Jane Green

Average read, insensitive handling of some issues grated on your nerves. Not even recommended as a read to pass time.
 
Magnolia Wednesdays
3 of 5 stars
by Wendy Wax

Interesting interpretation of Gone With the Wind in modern times. Falters a couple of times on plot but picks up pace along the way. Enjoyable light read which is funny and moving.
 
The Wednesday Sisters
4 of 5 stars
by Meg Waite Clayton

Goes in a minute from superficial to super deep. Excellent manipulation of language manipulates your feelings and you almost feel like a " Wednesday Sister" yourself.  Book club sort of book- but surprisingly I did not come away with any " OMG, I need to read these" titles.
 
Gone Girl
5 of 5 stars
by Gillian Flynn

Best book I have read all year. I started the year with this book. Phenomenal book, keeps you on the edge of your seat. Wonderfully written, exciting, racy, intellectual thriller. Was sad to see the book end.
  
The Case of the Calendar Girl
2 of 5 stars
by Erle Stanley Gardner
Guilty Pleasure! Not so much a pleasure though this one with a weak plot left me feeling only guilty. 

goodreads.com

I reset my expectations this year to account for all my occupational and non occupational hazards and went with 150 books instead of 200 books this year. Unfortunately for me, I have once again over estimated myself and am 57 books behind schedule. I am still struggling ineffectually to cope my over ambition of 8 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment