Thursday, April 16, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Mystery

Links to previous parts:

Hanged
Insomnia
Jaded
Keeper
Labour

Rini woke up again in the early hours of the morning. This was a definite sign that she had had the nightmare again. Now she was getting a sense of foreboding more than anything else when she recollected the dream on waking up. She was surprised and startled to find Aryan sitting in a chair by her bed. He was clasping her hand in both of his and appeared to have fallen asleep trying to comfort her. She sat up urgently startling him awake in the process. " Oh Rini, you are awake, you seemed to be having a bad nightmare last night. I tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't. I didn't want to leave you by yourself. So I stayed. I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not!" She said more snappishly than she meant, secretly flattered that he cared so much about her. " I would like to thank you for staying but I am sure it was not necessary." Aryan narrowed his eyes at her and said, " Something is troubling you and you are going to tell me about it. I will make you. See you in sometime." It wasn't until they had packed and loaded up the jeep to head to Anjeer village that he took up the line of questioning again. They were swigging tea from a flask when he repeated, " You are my friend and my responsibility for the next few weeks. Please tell me what's troubling you."

Rini reluctantly confided the details of her dream between sips of fortifying tea. He asked her to describe the surroundings that she observed in her dream and agreed that it had to be set in India. Then to take her mind off these unpleasant things, he treated her to a meal at a roadside dhaba. The warm butter on the paranthas and the hot chole revived her and made her more like her usual cheerful self. It was late evening when they reached the outskirts of Anjeer village. Rini was in the middle of a sentence when she made a choking noise. Aryan turned around to find her open her mouth in a soundless scream and faint dead away.

No comments:

Post a Comment