Friday, January 8, 2016

Museum of Little Ladies- Part 5

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I had to do something. The inaction was killing me, all my window displays ran through my head like a continuously playing commercial interspersed with the pamphlets I had found fluttering in the air  days later. Before Nadia's incredulous gaze, I took down my window display and gave her strict instructions to put up no window displays for the next few days. Great! Now even my co-worker thought I was crazy. "I am leaving now and I am going to be gone all afternoon. Do not book any appointments for tomorrow. I need some time off. I don't care if it is the holiday season. I need a break and I am going to take it." Nadia's mouth opened and closed like a goldfish as I effectively took care of all her arguments and swept through the door like a typhoon.

"What are you doing? If my eyes do not deceive me, you are trying to help on the case?" Jimmy dragged a chair out and slumped down into it. I jerked upright, shocked out of my skin. I tried to slam the book closed but he was too quick for me. He made a grab for it. It was my latest album, Britta's. It was almost like a baby book, filled with all her activities and her hobbies and her favorite toys. This was my second year of photographing her, but the first time I put up a window display. I had had an emotional morning. I first got out my telephone book and set up appointments with all the parents of the children who went missing. Some were downright furious to hear from me and others were too upset to talk. But the first of them all, Anne's mother,Lisa had agreed to meet me for lunch. I had spent the rest of the afternoon poring over all my old records and albums. I had found one thing- but I didn't even know if it was a lead- but every kidnapping was spaced almost equally- about 2-3 days after the window display. But, I needed to talk to Lisa, to see if I could find some commonalities, any information about what they noticed before Anne's abduction.

"Share."Jimmy said, narrowing his eyes at me. "You have something." I shook my head and picked up my books. "Just looking for window display ideas." I flung back as I walked out of the coffee shop. I remembered distinctly forbidding the booking of any new appointments, which is why I was taken aback to see the long sleek expensive looking car in front of my offices. I stormed in and before I could say anything, Nadia dragged me into the supply cupboard."You can't refuse. It's John Louis Watts III's daughter. They had a cancellation at that posh studio up in Brixton. They are willing to triple your hourly rate. Please say yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment