Friday, April 24, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Undercover



Links to Previous Parts:
Rising
Soliloquy
Trip

Riya stepped into the cool air conditioned cafe after finding a secure parking space for her car. A million questions were buzzing through her mind. Why had he diverted her so close to their destination. Why had he insisted on coming into this cafe? What was he trying to do? Was he some kind of detective? She walked upto the table that he had acquired for them. He held out a menu to her and said "Order." "I'll just have a black coffee please", Riya said bending over the menu wondering if she could afford lunch at this place. She did go out on weekends, but she tried to keep away from the fancier spots.

"Smile," he demanded. "Really", she hissed in an undertone. " Now you will issue orders to me?" "Well it's not funny business. Isn't that what you asked me for? This is important. It's a matter of life and death." "Then tell me what it's about? Maybe I can help." "But it 's a confidential matter. Something I am investigating as a matter of fact. You cannot help me. Nobody can." "Just try me." "No, this is where we will wait. Until I can think of what I must do next."

He stepped away to go to the washroom, she assumed. She opened her purse and drew out her phone. There were three missed calls. She dialed hoping to get the conversation over with before he came back. She should tell them that this was interfering with her day job. She couldn't afford it anymore. They would have to do better on her payments if they wanted her to continue. But she found herself at the end of a 5 minute phone call, the recipient of a photograph and a contract the result of not being able to say no.

1 comment:

  1. Alright, we're entering the home stretch of A to Z! Thanks for your faithful post and helping make the Challenge a smashing success!

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Co-host
    V is for Vortex (the paranormal kind)

    ReplyDelete