Friday, September 5, 2014

A to Z - Akash

I am in yet another school- my 7th school in 8 years. I can't even make an effort anymore. I smile, I wave, I make inane conversation mechanically. All the schools look the same, grey or pale green institutional colors with bars in the windows. There are more people who have coalesced into a single identity than I can remember.

As the breeze from the window hit me, I thanked my stars for having bagged the prime window seat. All my years of moving have left me with one important lesson. 'Always be on time on the first day of school'. I was inevitably late every other day. The first day for me is a milestone. The day you pick your seats and proceed to scare away everyone from you for the rest of the year with the best imitation of the evil eye. I never failed to get the seat I wanted.

"Eeeh," a shriek interrupted my thoughts. A slightly built classmate of mine was busy shushing her statuesque friend. Her friend towered over her but quailed in the line of her fierce gaze. Turning slightly, she caught me observing their conversation and it deepened into an angry or embarrassed flush. I puzzled over which it was. Wait, the taller girl looked familiar. She was a danger Sam had warned me against. Sam was my campus buddy. My first normal campus buddy, actually. Therefore by default, he was the first person I met at Avon High. Providentially, he turned out to be awesome and in the same grade as me. To quote Sam, 'She is on the prowl. So take care.' That sounded ominous and he assured me it had nothing to do with any sort of relationship which confused me even further.

Still, I took his warning to heart. I needed to figure my life out before I even thought about anything else. A school each year was hard enough without any potential entanglements. I did not work well with high maintenance. "Zara! Zara! Stop!" Nina cried out. So her name was Zara. Interesting name! She didn't pay any attention and just continued walking. "Sam!" I tapped his shoulder. He had the other good window seat in front of me." I need a drink of water!" "The cooler's down the hallway. Head straight down and take a right". "Cool! Thanks! No, I 'll find it, not a problem!" I hurried in the direction of the water cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment